December 14, 2007

Reflections After My First Craft Faire:



What Worked:


• Doing research on etsy.com and fellow bloggers to read about their own experience. It really helped to know what to expect.
• Bringing scissors, pens, pencils, and a clipboard.
• Having a checklist of items needed so I knew what to pack up the night before.
• Having a rolling suitcase to get my products and supplies from the car to the show.
• Creating a display that was two tiers. It gave the table a fuller look.
• Having display copies of cards, and packaged cards in single and five packs.
• Posting an event on Facebook- but be sure to do it before the day of the event.
• Having a tablecloth.
• Having cards that can be used for more than just the holidays.
• Standing, smiling and shining.
• Wearing my favorite bright green sweater that made me feel like a million bucks.
• Having support – in all meanings of the word.

What didn’t work:


• Having a tablecloth with crease lines.
• Not knowing the dimensions of the table before going to the fair.
• Having to write my name out on every receipt. Yuk.
• Going to work and taking time off for the fair.
• Packaging and putting price tags the night 'til midnight then going to work at 8 am.
• Having “Happy New Years Cards”- No one was thinking that far ahead.
• My buttons. Still gotta figure why.

What to do next time:


• Bring adhesive mailing labels. To label receipts, products, etc.
• Wash and dry the tablecloth before hand.
• Have a sample of the custom orders.
• Find shows that are well publicized.
• Have more products at a lower price.
• Tell more people, post more flyers, make my friends come ;)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great info!!! Saw your post on etsy and had to come look. I agree about all the help on etsy about doing these--I have my first coming up in March, and already am trying to plan and prepare! Hope your sales were wonderful! Jennifer
MonsterBug Blankets
http://www.monsterbugblankets.com

Becca Alley said...

Jen! That is a long time to prep! I am sure you will do great!

Bee said...

Congratulations on your first craft show! Looks like you did a fantastic job.

Field Notes said...

Thank you for sharing this! I've been paying attention to people's experiences at craft shows in anticipation of doing one someday myself. It is so helpful and altruistic that you share this. Thank you!

recycledideas @ etsy

QuintessentiallyEnglish said...

fantastic information for people, great idea for sharing this with people!

MalibuBarbie112.etsy.com