September 1, 2010
The top 10 things I learned from my child birthing prep class
1. Birth is natural
2. When faced with a medical intervention ask your self BRAN
3. In early labor where you have about 30 seconds of contractions that can be 5 to 30 mins apart practice the following:
Relaxation / Rest
Eat (something healthy)
Activity (be distract)
Drink - sip water after each contraction or more ... .Papa's be sure that Momma's do this!
4. A General rule to go to the hospital
5 - contractions 5 minute apart
1 - minute in length
1 - for a full hour
5. What they call Transition is the hardest stage of labor where Contractions 90 seconds 1-3 minutes apart
6. When it comes to labor and contractions change positions often
7. When giving birth TURN OFF YOUR brain, find ways to cope with the pain including -breath, distraction, environment, focal point, massage
8. Breath!! In through the hose out through the mouth.
Cleansing breath first - longer exhale at the end with a sound
matching in and out
9. Postpartum is hard, have support
10. Frequency is the key to breatfeeding
This is what I learned form my class, what have you learned about labor, any tips for me in this upcoming time?
You can learn more at Transition to Parenthood website.